Fees and Presentation Options
Why do authors charge for presentations?
Writing is a business. A full-time author's income generally originates from five sources:
1. Advances -- Other than in rare exceptions, these aren't enough to support a lifestyle or a family, so a supplemental income is required, which comes by way of the remaining four sources.
2. Royalties -- Most authors only receive between 1.5% and 10% per book sold, and they don't even start accruing royalties until their advance has been paid back in full to the publisher. Which means the final three income sources have to make up the balance.
3. Freelance work
4. Speaking engagements
Time used to create presentations and go to events is time not being used for polishing up on writing or producing more books. Thus, it's impractical for authors to offer speaking services and presentations for free, however much they might want to.
As for the amount an author charges, that varies per their individual needs and what they offer by way of presentations.
My personal fees and options are listed below.
Live school visits: Half Day (Up to 2 presentations) $300; Full Day (Up to 4 presentations) $600
Live book club / library visits: Must be a guaranteed attendance of 15 or more. $150 within 20 minutes of Amarillo. See below for info on gas/travel expenses for further distances.
Virtual visits: Must be a guaranteed attendance of 15 or more. Classroom or Book Club events (via Skype) $75 for a 35-40 minute power point session + Q&A, OR $25 for a 30 minute Q&A.
At present, I offer four power point selections for schools, book clubs, and writing groups. You can find them at this link, along with their descriptions.
- Mine is a more one-on-one approach, so smaller audiences are preferred. For schools, sessions in the library work best—with a select group of AP students and/or 2-3 full classes present at a time (depending on the size of the space)—rather than an auditorium assembly. This smaller, confined arrangement lends itself to a streamlined back-and-forth so each student in attendance can benefit on a more personal level.
- Each program runs approx. 40-45 minutes, including a 10-15 minute power point (you choose which one works best for your situation), book trailer viewing and excerpt reading for another 5-7 minutes, and a 25 minute Q&A session or hands-on writing exercise, depending on which power point you’ve chosen.
- Travel expenses aren't included in the above quoted prices. Gas and meals will be added to the total if/when they are incurred.
If you're interested in having me speak, please choose your preferred visit option and power point selection (if applicable), and email me at anita(at)aghoward(dot)com with your request. My calendar fills up quickly so I can't always guarantee an opening, but when time allows, I'll make a concerted effort to find a date that works with the schedules of all involved.